Skip to main content

About the OJA

**The Office of the Judicial Administrator is in the process of updating our website.  As part of this update, outdated processes and policies have been removed, and additional documentation about the OJA, our philosophy, and resources will be added.  Until then, please note that any document not directly linked or housed on this website is not current, but physical copies of all current processes and policies are available in the OJA. Thank-you for your patience, and if you have suggestions regarding content that you would like to see added to the website, please share that with the OJA by contacting**

The Office of the Judicial Administrator (OJA) is a part of Cornell University’s campus disciplinary system, which sets standards of behavior to protect the entire Cornell community — students, staff and faculty — and provides procedures to ensure a fair process for the individual charged (Respondent) and for the individual alleging the violation (Complainant).

The standards of conduct articulated in Cornell University’s Campus Code of Conduct (Code) reflect the principles of the entire Cornell community. The checks and balances in the disciplinary system ensure Code enforcement remains true to these principles. It is up to each individual community member to understand the principles to ensure that our shared living-learning environment meets our community standards.

If you have any questions regarding the Code and or the OJA, please contact our office by calling 607-255-4680, emailing us at or stopping by our office at 120 Day Hall, M-F 8:30am-5:00pm.

Who is the “JA”?

Members of the Office of the Judicial Administrator are at times, collectively known as the JA. Our Office enforces the Code at Cornell. Michelle R. Horvath is the current Judicial Administrator. Michelle joined Cornell and the OJA in late June 2016 and has been spending time learning about Cornell, the disciplinary system and is working towards ways to make our disciplinary system a more educational one. You are welcome to stop by 120 Day Hall to meet Michelle in person.

What situations are referred to the OJA?

Situations which violate the Code are referred to the OJA. Some actions, even though they might annoy or anger you, are not covered by the Code, like defamation. The OJA does not handle violations of the Code of Academic Integrity. A matter may be referred to both the criminal justice system and the campus disciplinary system. Learn more about our procedures.

Who can refer someone to the OJA for allegedly violating the Code?

Anyone can report an allegation to the OJA. The OJA gets referrals from many sources, including the police, residence halls, dining, libraries and individuals. The referring party does not have to be a member of the Cornell University community. While the police and the criminal justice system can determine criminal consequences, the JA can determine disciplinary consequences related to Cornell.

Who can help the individual who is alleged to have violated Code?

The Judicial Codes Counselor (JCC) can advise a Respondent by explaining the disciplinary process and providing advice, and sometimes by participating in discussions with the OJA or advising an individual at a hearing. Even if the Respondent does not want to use the JCC services, the Respondent may bring a friend or other advisor to any stage of the process.  An emotional support person may attend meetings and hearings, in addition to the person giving advice about the Code.

Who can provide support to a Complainant?

Complainants who have experienced violence or personal victimization may find it useful to consult with the Victim Advocate (607 255-1212). Complainants may also benefit from working with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS; 607 255-5155) at Gannett Health Services. Complainants may bring any support person with them to any OJA meeting.

How can I get involved in the Cornell disciplinary system?

Anyone interested in volunteering to be part of the disciplinary system (serving on the hearing or review boards, or the Codes and Judicial Committee (CJC)) should contact the University Assemblies Office. Both the boards and the CJC consist of students, staff, and faculty members. Being part of the system ensures that the opinions of each of the constituency groups in our community are heard. Additional opportunities may be available through the OJA or JCC upon inquiry.