Below are a developing electronic library used by the Office of the Judicial Administrator. We believe these resources can be used to foster introspection and growth in students who have made a questionable choice or choices. In keeping with Baxter-Magolda’s Theory of Self-Authorship, the OJA recognizes that most students will be on a spectrum of development from external determinants of identity to internal determinations. It is our hope to encourage students to explore their own beliefs and values in relation to these choices, as well as their role within the larger community.
- The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin
- Probation curriculum prompt: Does Louise’s reaction surprise you? Can you imagine that someone would react to her news in that way? How would her life have been different—the life she now imagined living—compared to the life she found herself in before the news?
- A Worn Path by Eudora Welty
- Probation curriculum prompt: Discuss the sacrifices and risks we sometimes take to help others.
- Sweetness by Toni Morrison
- Probation curriculum prompt: How can society impact our behavior—even against our better judgment? How do we embrace responsibility in light of such overarching issues?
- Miss Temptation by Kurt Vonnegut
- Probation curriculum prompt: Discuss the connection of personality and behavior. What role does perspective play in our actions? How “true” is perspective?
- Recitatif by Toni Morrison
- Probation curriculum prompt: Discuss ambiguity and how powerfully perspective has impacted Twyla’s and Roberta’s lives. How could they each remember Maggie so differently?
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber
- Probation curriculum prompt: What is identity? Are Walter’s imaginings any less significant than his “true identity?”
- Eddie Obeng: Smart Failure for a Fast Changing World
- Brian Goldman: Doctors Make Mistakes. Can We Talk About That?
- Stefon Harris: There Are No Mistakes on the Bandstand
- Sarah Lewis: Embrace the Near Win
- J.K. Rowling: The Fringe Benefits of Failure
- Andrew Solomon: How the Worst Moments in Our Lives Make Us Who We Are
- Bully by Lissie.
- Lyrics: https://goo.gl/7qk6fv
- Discuss the transition from life as a child in your parents’ home to life as your own person.
- Roar by Katy Perry.
- Lyrics: https://goo.gl/qyDTQx
- Discuss personal growth, development of voice and values, especially in light of feeling repressed.
- Carry On by Fun.
- Lyrics: https://goo.gl/T1zOU8
- Discuss healthy and appropriate ways to “carry on” in the face of challenges and difficulties.
- Renegades by X Ambassadors.
- Lyrics: https://goo.gl/Sdb4yx
- Discuss the difference between rules created to promote safety and community and “rules” that confine creativity and self-expression. Discuss consequences and taking responsibility for your actions if you do choose to break the rules.
- Stand by Me Performed by Playing for Change.
- Lyrics: https://goo.gl/VtMqjC
- Discuss the importance of support and community in life, attaining new insights, and personal development.
- Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise by the Avett Brothers.
- Lyrics: https://goo.gl/xdATXj
- How can you develop your own voice, despite the pressures of society? How can you have a positive impact on the world?